Creating with Clay Programs
By creating with clay, we seek to nurture the potential and confidence of each student. Our classroom atmosphere fosters respect for each individual and a cooperative spirit within each group.
We use stoneware clays with lead-free slips and glazes. Students are encouraged to create from their own imaginations, to develop a variety of hand building skills, to use the potter's wheel, and to use a variety of methods to decorate their pieces.
Students may build vessels or scenes with slabs and coils; throw cups, bowls, or plates on the wheel; build a lamp, a clock or a mirror frame; create patterns with colored clays; create sculpture.
By working with clay, students learn about forming, firing, glazing and the vocabulary of ceramics while simultaneously gaining visual, perceptual, problem-solving, and motor skills. They take pride in their creations.
*After school weekly classes for students 6 and older in the fall, winter, and spring.
* Weekly classes for home schooled students.
* Saturday mornings -- classes for parents and children (ages 6-9) together in three-week sessions in the fall and winter.
* Saturday afternoons -- classes for students 10 and older in three-week sessions in the fall and winter.
* Summer sessions -- morning classes for children 6 to 9 years old, and afternoon classes for various older age groups.
* Adult class meets one evening a week in the fall, winter and summer.
* NEW Original Mosaics -- create your own original, colorful mosaic design for a framed wall piece or mosaic tabletop!
* NEW Creating with Colored Clay -- hand building , wheel pieces and a bit of sculpture all made with colored clay patterns you create.